This is a place I can organize recipes that my family has tried and likes. I did not make any of these recipes up myself - I am terrible in the kitchen and needed a place to help with my organization. Feel free to use this site and comment on the recipes you try!!

Saturday, June 5, 2010

Bacon and Asparagus Frittata

I got this from my friend Mrs Carol. I am going to tell you the exact recipe, then I will tell you all the (shameful) shortcuts I made to it. Mrs Carol may be very disappointed in me with all my shortcuts! :-)

Ingredients:

6 large plum tomatoes
1 (12 oz) package bacon slices
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 cups (1/2 inch) fresh asparagus pieces
10 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
2 cups shredded mild cheddar cheese, divided

Cut tomatoes into thin slices. Drain tomatoes well, pressing between layers of paper towels to remove excess moisture; set aside.

Cook bacon in a 12 inch ovenproof skillet until crisp; remove bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Crumble bacon, and set aside.

Saute onion and garlic in reserved hot drippings 4 to 5 minutes or until tender. Add asparagus, and saute 1 minute.

Beat eggs, seasoned salt, and pepper at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; stir in sour cream. Pour over vegetables in skillet. Reserve 1/4 cup bacon; stir in remaining bacon, parsley, and 1 cup cheddar cheese.

Cook over medium-low heat 3 to 4 minutes or until eggs begin to set around edges.

Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Remove frittata from oven, and top with tomato slices, reserved 1/4 cup bacon, and remaining 1 cup cheese.

Bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until frittata appears to be set.

My 2 cents worth:
  • I leave out the tomatoes and parsley.
  • I buy a package of bacon pieces, use regular salt, and use a little minced garlic.
  • I saute the asparagus and onions in a little oil since I don't have the bacon juice.
  • I don't measure the cheese I put on top, I just cover the top with it.
  • When the eggs start to set in the skillet, I transfer it to a lightly greased 9x13 inch casserole dish and then bake it.
  • This is SO SO yummy. We have it for supper some times. Then for breakfast the next morning.

No comments: