2 pounds ground beef
1/2 whole medium onion
1 can (7 oz) Mexican tomato sauce or enchilada sauce
salt and pepper to taste
cumin, oregano, chili powder, and garlic to taste
1 can (28 oz) refried beans
3/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
12 whole burrito-sized tortillas
extra grated cheese, for sprinkling
extra sauce for drizzling
cilantro leaves, optional
optional filling ingredients: Mexican rice, sour cream, guacamole, green chilies, pico
Brown ground beef with onion and season to taste. Pour in sauce and simmer over low heat. Add water if mixture gets too dry.
Heat refried beans in a saucepan. Add cheese and stir in till melted. Keep warm.
Heat tortillas in microwave for one minute.
Spread small amount of beans on each tortilla. Add meat. fold over ends, then roll up. Place two burritos on a microwave-safe plate. Drizzle red sauce over the top and sprinkle with more grated cheddar. Microwave for one minute or until cheese is melted and burritos are very hot. Serve immediately.
My Two Cents:
- I filled one of Chris' up with beans, meat, and rice and he liked it better than the ones with only beans and meat.
- I put a little Mexican cheese into the burritos with the beans and meat.
- I served it with some sour cream on top.
- I used red enchilada sauce.
- I normally prefer chicken over beef but I really enjoyed this. We all did.
- Next time I want to try the green chilies in it!