1 cup chicken broth
2 (4.5oz) cans chopped green chilies
1-3/4 lbs skinned boned chicken breast
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
1/4 cup tub style cream cheese
1 (10oz) can enchilada sauce
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1 oz tortilla chips crushed
Combine broth and 1 can of chilies in a large skillet, bring to a boil. Add chicken; reduce heat, simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken. Shred meat with two forks and set aside.
Preheat oven to 350.
Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 can of chilies and onions; saute 3 minutes or until soft. Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterrey jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well. Stir in shredded chicken and cook 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2 quart casserole dish coated with cooking spray. Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas. Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips.
Bake 350 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
My 2 Cents Worth:
- This is a huge favorite!
- I like it but the texture of the corn tortillas in it bothers me. It does NOT bother anyone else though. :)
- I use canned chicken. So I just put the broth and chilies in a little pot and boil then add that when called for.
- I definitely use more tortilla chips... I almost cover the whole thing.
- I use a 9x13 casserole dish.
- I have never had tub style cream cheese on hand and have always just softened the regular block cream cheese and it works fine!